The Coalition on Homelessness proudly invites you to attend ArtAuction04 Celebrating 15 Years of the Street Sheet, Thursday, September 9th, 2004 at SomArts Gallery, 934 Brannan Street (between 8th & 9th Streets) San Francisco. Reception and registration begins at 6pm. Hors d’oevres, buffet dinner and silent auction 6-9pm. Live auction begins at 7:30pm. Sliding scale admission $10-$40.
As the oldest continuously published “street newspaper” in the world, for 15 years Street Sheet has featured art from homeless, as well as established local artists.
ArtAuction04 features an eclectic collection ranging from edgy political and “outsider” art, to more traditional works, including local printmaker and longtime contributor Art Hazelwood, who observed “The ability to produce artwork of social and political relevance and to have it published and distributed was a powerful incentive that moved me both as an artist and as a human being into a more engaged existence. The Street Sheet allowed me to expand both my art and my vision of the role of art in society.”
ArtAuction04 featured artist Alicia McCarthy echoes this feeling: “It’s important to participate in events like this because it’s one way for an artist to be a part of direct change, just trying to change some of the… social injustice in the world.”
- When: 6pm Thursday, September 9th, 2004What: ArtAuction04 Benefit Celebrating 15 Years of the Street Sheet
- Who: Coalition on Homelessness art auction and community event featuring works by: Barry McGee, Art Hazelwood, Christine Hanlon, Eric Drooker, Alicia McCarthy, Rigo, Chris Johanson, Mattilda (aka Matt Bernstein), and MANY MORE!
- Where: SomArts Gallery, 934 Brannan Street (between 8th & 9th Streets), San Francisco 94103
- Admission: sliding scale $10-$40
- Event info: Contact Mara Raider or Tim Hackett at 415 346 3740Special thanks to Our ArtAuction04
- Underwriters:Central City Hospitality House,Curry Senior Center(formerly No. of Market Senior Services), Anne Kronenberg, Cheryl A. Mendonsa, Laura Ware, Mickey Williamson, Julia Young